Training is crucial for human development.
Technically, staff training is a systematic acquisition of attitudes, concepts, knowledge, roles, or skills resulting in improved performance at work.
The need for training for improved productivity has become universally accepted.
- Training is a systematic development of knowledge, skills, and attitudes required by employees to perform adequately on a given task or job.
- Training and development of staff enable them to work towards taking the organization to its expected destination.
The effectiveness and success of an organization depend on the people who form and work within the organization. The process of training and development is a continuous one.
Training and development is a platform to acquire new knowledge and develop further the skills and techniques to function effectively. It is a process of creating organizational conditions that will cause personnel to strive for better performance.
The functions of training are as follows:
- Increase productivity;
- Improves the quality of work;
- Improves skills, knowledge, understanding, and attitude;
- Enhance the use of tools and machines;
- Reduces waste, accidents, turnover, lateness, absenteeism, and other overhead costs;
- Enhance the implementation of new policies ;
- Prepares people for achievement;
- Improves and ensures the survival and growth of the enterprise.
Objectives of Training and Development are:
- To improve the qualities of the trainee;
- To increase personnel efficiency, professional growth, and smooth and more effective organization operations.
Organizations are, therefore, encouraged to train and develop their staff to enhance their effectiveness.
As training reduces the work of close supervision, it also improves the drive, initiative, and quality of work of the employees. It assists them in achieving the goals and objectives of the organization.
Thus, for any organization to succeed, training and re-training of all staff with workshops, conferences, and seminars should be vigorously pursued and made compulsory.