Stress is a commonly used word nowadays, from working people to non-working, and from post-graduates to school-going kids.
Before elaborating on this word, let us understand what stress is – ‘Stress is a natural feeling of not being able to cope with specific demands and events that makes you feel frustrated, angry, or nervous.’
Now, let us understand why anyone gets stressed. It is a natural reaction to pressure caused by several factors :
- Inability to accept failure or uncertainty;
- Negative self-talk;
- Unrealistic expectations;
- Life transitions;
- Comparisons with others;
- Family issues;
- Relationship difficulties.
Whenever anyone gets stressed, there are some unwanted symptoms :
- Rapid heartbeat;
- Stiff neck;
- Tight shoulders;
- Rapid breathing;
- Sweating and sweaty palms;
- Upset stomach, nausea, or diarrhea;
- Sleep trouble;
- Weakening of the immune system;
- Negative/self-critical thinking;
- Racing thoughts;
- Going blank;
- Difficulties with problem-solving.
There are many myths about stress. The most common one is that it is not at all good; however, the facts are :
- It is not at all bad;
- It is a strong incentive for individuals to do their best;
- It poses a challenge for individual achievement;
- It can be positive, helping you to be motivated and focused;
- Low levels of stress are manageable, in fact, necessary & normal.
If there is an issue, then there will be a solution.
Here are some necessary STEPS to overcome stress :
- Identifying stress factors;
- Identify stress relievers;
- Manage your Time;
- Follow routine;
- Ask for help;
- Practice breathing techniques;
Friends, there is a key for every lock; make an effort to search for that key…✍️