Forgiveness implies replacing negative emotions with positive attitudes. It is a process of an increased ability to wish good for others, especially for the offender. It is an excusing or pardoning act to release the offender from responsibility for an action or forgetting the incident and the person responsible for it.
Forgiveness is unconditional; it is granted and asked without any expectation. In any relationship, forgiveness plays a crucial role in maintaining a relationship. Humans are prone to make mistakes. Forgiveness helps to focus on mistakes rather than who committed those mistakes. When everyone has a mutual viewing for forgiveness, then it develops in a long relationship.
Studies show that people who forgive are happier and healthier than those who hold resentments.
- The more forgiving people are, the less they suffer from a wide range of illnesses. The less forgiving people reported a more number of health problems.
- Forgiving people become less angry, feel less hurt, are more optimistic, compassionate, and self-confident.
Forgiveness is a choice, even if it takes a long time to make that choice.
One may feel negative emotions during the process. When completed, the person will have replaced negative emotions associated with unforgiveness like anger with positive emotions like empathy and compassion.
It may give new meaning to the situation. It may improve interactions and promote reconciliation for both people (one asking for forgiveness and the other giving it).
Outcomes of forgiveness that have an impact on overall wellbeing include:
- Reduction in negative affect and symptoms;
- Restoration of positive thinking;
- Restoration of relationships;
- Reduction in anxiety;
- Strengthened concentration;
- Raised self-esteem;
- A greater sense of hope;
- Enhanced capacity for conflict management and;
- Increased ability to cope with stress and find relief.
Forgiveness may not change the past, but it does change the future.
For happy and prosperous life, one must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive…✍