About 71 percent of the earth’s surface is water-covered. In the case of humans, 60% of the human adult body is water; it constitutes 75% of the body weight. Besides, 70% of the human brain is water.
Water is essential for all body functions and processes, including digestion and elimination. When you are on a diet, water also acts as a weight-loss aid because it can help you eat less. Drinking water is essential during weight loss because it provides hydration without unwanted calories.
There are many evidence-based health benefits of drinking plenty of water:
- It helps get rid of many diseases in the body;
- Drinking water in the morning helps in flushing all the toxins in the body and cleanses your intestines;
- It nurtures, lubricates, and detoxifies when it flows out of the body as urine;
- It helps with digestion, cools and balances;
- Helps maximize physical performance;
- Significantly affects energy levels and brain function;
- May help prevent and treat headaches;
- May help relieve constipation;
- May help treat kidney stones;
- Helps prevent hangovers;
- Aid weight loss.
To get maximum benefits of water, one must follow some tips for drinking water:
- Drink 1-2 glasses of water before eating anything in the morning;
- Drink 2-3 liters of water/day;
- Drink warm water in the morning. You can add lemon/ginger/jaggery/honey in it;
- Drink water half an hour before having a meal;
- Drink water after half an hour after the meal;
- Drink water slowly in small sips;
- Have water-rich foods such as cucumber, tomato.
Water deficiency causes many health issues. It is due to dehydration and has some implications:
- Persistent Bad Breath. Water is essential for saliva production and helps rinse away bacteria so you can maintain healthy teeth and gums;
- Fatigue. Not drinking enough water can cause an overall fluid loss in the body;
- Frequent Illness;
- Poor Skin Health;
- Sugar Cravings;
- Decreased Urination.
Make it a habit of drinking water to maintain the water level in a body, for a healthy body.