Nowadays, due to a hectic schedule, many tend to neglect their health. However, at some point, it becomes mandatory to take our fitness and diet seriously for health. At that point, many make the mistake of targeting weights rather than fats.
We have seen many people with adverse effects due to their weight loss regime. Before going into details, first, understand our body composition:
Based on our fitness level, our weight comes from:
- Muscle: 30-55% of body weight
- Fat: 10-30% of body weight
- Water: 10-25% of body weight
- Bone: 15% of body weight
- Organs, other tissues: 10-15% of body weight
Our muscle accounts for about 30-55% of our body weight. A pound of muscle will be about four times smaller than a pound of fat. A fit body has a low body fat percentage (10% to 15% for men and 15% to 20% for women).
Our fat percentage is the actual measurement of how fit and in which shape your body is. The amount of body fat can vary drastically from person to person.
Body fat burns fewer calories at rest than muscle does. One pound of muscle burns around 6 calories per day, whereas one pound of fat only burns about 2 calories per day.
Why do two individuals with the same weight and height look different ???
The difference is the fat percentage!
A person with a low body fat percentage with higher muscle mass will look fitter than others, despite having the same weight.
There are some important points one must consider before fitness and diet regime:
- Two individuals with similar height can weigh the same but look completely different because one has lower body fat than the other;
- The weighing scale can mislead you;
- Weight loss = Muscle loss + Fat loss + Water loss
- If you are losing fat, you will look slimmer at the same body-weight by building muscle;
- Fat loss = Reduction of stored body fat;
- Track Body Fat. Get a fat body% and track your body fat every 2 weeks;
- Shoot Pictures. Compare with your previous pics.
Here are some effects on the body due to Fat loss and Weight loss:
|Fat Loss||Weight Loss|
|Increased Fitness Level||Decreased Fitness Level|
|Increased Body Strength||Decreased Body strength|
|Reduction in body fat %||Reduction in Muscle mass|
|Increased metabolism||Decreased Metabolism|
Hence, focus on losing fat! Then decide if you still need to lose weight.