Everyone in this world needs proper guidance to be successful in their career and life.
The person who provides that guidance is called a mentor. The process of providing that guidance, sharing knowledge, skills, and life experience to guide another towards reaching their full potential is mentoring.
Let us further understand what mentoring is :
- It is a positive, supportive relationship, encouraging young people to develop to their fullest potential;
- It entails informal communication, usually face-to-face and during a sustained period;
- A mentor passes skills and knowledge to the mentee;
- It is a long-term process based on mutual trust and respect;
- It is more focused on creating an informal association between the mentor and mentee;
- It is a learning relationship, generally focused on long term career development;
- It offers the chance to improve communication skills and develop leadership abilities;
- It helps to grow their confidence in areas of expertise;
- The primary purpose is personal growth, building skills, knowledge, and understanding.
A mentor invests their time and effort into their mentorship duties and truly wants to help a mentee grow in their personal and professional life.
Benefits of having a Mentor
- Encouragement and support for growth and improvement;
- Building a professional network;
- Receiving feedback on behavior;
- Open your mind to new ideas and possibilities;
- Identify opportunities and advise on how to promote yourself;
- The growth opportunity will be immense.
Mentoring depends on trust, confidentiality, mutual respect, and sensitivity. A mentor may help with exploring careers, setting goals, developing contacts, and identifying resources.
Eight Tips for Getting the Most Out of Mentoring :
- Spend time with your mentor;
- Articulate your goals and objectives;
- Come to meetings prepared;
- Have your mentor observe you in action;
- Build your network.
Friends, looking at the benefit of mentoring and having a mentor, one must go for mentoring. It will be beneficial for your personal and professional growth.